Sunday, March 25, 2007

Gold and Silver

I never thought that I could be so satisfied
Every time that I look in your angel eyes
A shock inside me that words just can't describe
And there's no explaining

Something in the way you move I can't deny
Every word from your lips is a lullaby
A twist of fate makes life worthwhile
You are gold and silver.

(chorus)
I said I wasn't gonna lose my head
But then POP! goes my heart
I wasn't gonna fall in love again
But then POP! Goes my heart
And I just can't let you go

I can't lose this feeling
These precious moments, we have so few,
Let's go far away where there's nothing to do but play
You've shown to me that my destiny's with you,
And there's no explaining

Let's fly so high- will you come with me tonight?
In your dress, I confess you're the source of light.
The way you shine under starry skies
You are gold and silver.

(chorus)

A twist of fate makes life worthwhile
You are gold and silver.
I said I wasn't gonna lose my head
But then POP! goes my heart.
I wasn't gonna fall in love again
But then POP! Goes my heart.

(chorus)

******
Of course I listened to the lyrics,
and of course I smiled.

*****
Sometimes, rarely, there's a moment just before the rain comes, when the wind slowly rises to a crescendo and the leaves begin to be stripped unwillingly off the trees in a gradually enlarging shower of yellow; and there's an almost palpable magic in the air... a fleeting moment of tense expectation, of an almost... longing... for release.

It's the perfect moment for a brisk walk down the riverside; so drab and mundane in the day - and even on a muggy tropical night, dull yellow lights mutely reflecting off the still of lethargic black water - but when the moment arose last night the waters were whipped into a frenzy, and the lights of the Fullerton and Indochine transformed into a myriad shifting fireflies - alive - and breathing.

And I just stopped walking, and missed the feeling of your fingers gripping mine, and your shoulder brushing mine as we walk in that odd loping gait we always assume, side by side.

And then the rain came.

*****
As she said it, her voice broke.
"I don't want to lose him!"

She sniffled a bit.
"What's wrong with me?"

I paused, and thought.
Nothing is wrong with you, except perhaps that you are blind to what is good, and real, and
right there in front of you, and you keep trying to throw it away. And you despair, because you know subconsciously that it is rare, and precious...

I said "nothing is wrong with you...", and thought.
I don't want to lose you.
Ever.

Unless you should wish to leave; even then I won't want to lose you. But I'll be good. I'll try. The final act of love... is sacrifice.

*****
It's only been a fortnight!
Perhaps this is too precipitous; perhaps I should save the words for a moment of more significance, somewhere in the future;
But somehow, early as it seems, now feels the time.

I've only ever said this (not in so many words) once before, in the aftermath of an unexpected, badly executed and half-thought out breakup. And the words were charged with such different emotions then, as they are now...

but thank you.

for every glance, and glare we have shared,
every smile, every touch,
every moment of love and passion,
and friendship and laughter

every thought exchanged
every jibe and riposte
every mock moment of hatred, and every true moment of love
For every moment we have spent together

I thank you.

It's been a joy, and an honour...
and simply wonderful.

I had forgotten how to hope, in the face of all I have watched, heard, and experienced; I had thought the future too vague and uncertain to think past tomorrow.... too many variables, too much left to chance; too volatile and unpredictable. But if I may be so facetious...

My lady,
my lord
my hero and my love,

I pray we may dance like this... for a lifetime.

No comments: